1. Depending on your age, go back 10, 15, 20, or even more years.
2. Tell us how many years back you have traveled and why.
3. Pretend you have met yourself during that era, and tell us where you are.
4. You only have one “date” with this former self.
5. Answer these questions.
Okay, as we start, what year is it and how old are you?
1990 aged 20, 20 years ago, because, well, it’s all so beautifully symmetrical, innit? I’d have either been in Kwazulu Natal, about to leave South Africa, or in London.
1. Would your younger self (YYS, from here) recognize you when you first meet?
2. Would YYS be surprised to discover what you are doing job wise?
Considering that in 1990 I looked after parrots and then worked in a Tunisian bakery, I guess I’d be surprised to hear that I’m an editor now, but maybe not altogether – words have always been my oxygen.
3. What piece of fashion advice would you give YYS?
Lose the hippy crap – go skater.
4. What do you think YYS is most going to want to know?
If she made it.
5. How would you answer YYS’s question?
You made it! You got past 30 after all kiddo.
6. What would probably be the best thing to tell YYS?
Get some basic routines going and stop living in the now quite so much.
7. What is something that you probably wouldn’t tell YYS?
Your heart’s going to be doomed for almost the next two decades.
8. What do you think will most surprise YYS about you?
That I get to sleep more than 4 hours a night.
9. What do you think will least surprise YYS?
I’m a grumpy sod.
10. At this point in your life, would YYS like to run into “you” from the future?
Yes, very much. I was desperate for a queer mentor.